A NEW CHAPTER FOR A HISTORIC TOWN
In February 2021, the Hamilton Town Council approved the new neighborhood’s conceptual master plan that was created in partnership with an exceptional architect team through a community-driven effort. This community-driven development embodies sustainability, and honors the Town’s rich history, culture, and natural assets. Likely features of the project include:
- Affordable homes for current Hamilton residents
- Dining, retail, and community spaces
- Buildings constructed from locally- and responsibly-sourced building material
- Ample open space, which could include playgrounds, parks, and natural areas
- “Net Zero” goals for energy consumption, water use, and carbon emissions
- Advanced wastewater and sewage treatment avoiding negative environmental impacts
Floodplains by Design Funding Opportunity
- Developing a Community Emergency Education and Preparedness Program: Materials and outreach efforts will be developed to ensure that homeowners understand their options, responsibilities, and liabilities related to owning property in the floodway.
- Floodplain Acquisitions: Project development will include educating property owners on voluntary buyout options, property owner negotiations, due diligence and closing transactions. The proposal is to acquire 9-12 properties in the floodplain.
- Structure Demo and Replanting/Restoration: Once properties with structures are acquired, Forterra can begin to restore the land. Demolition will include removal of all structures including infrastructure like septic tanks, foundations, and utilities. All materials and trash will be removed and the sites will be planted with native species that will contribute to natural floodplain functions.
To support work like this make a donation or sign up for our newsletter below to stay up-to-date on Forterra’s latest projects.